The global pandemic has confined us all within our homes. This means no trips to the salon to groom ourselves. Pandemic or not, there are a lot of hair removal techniques available out there and thanks to online shopping, we can have such resources at our doorstep.
There are many preferred methods of hair removal and styling like trimming, shaving and waxing. Or you can choose not to remove the hair at all. Pubic hair is only natural and it has its own functions. The choice to remove, groom or keep the pubic hair comes down to an individual’s preference.
Why do we need pubic hair?
Pubic hair is not just a nuisance hair down there you know! It has important functions:
- Acts as a protective wall and prevents disease causing bacteria, virus and other microorganisms from entering the vagina and urethra (pee hole). This plays a huge role in preventing you from contracting yeast infection in the vagina and even Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).
- It traps pheromones that contribute to attracting a sexual partner.
- Is like a pillow that prevents friction during sexual intercourse.
- Helps to keep the genital area at an optimal temperature when the weather is too hot or too cold.
What are the hair-removal methods available ?
If you are struggling to make a good decision, talk to us and we’ll help you decide. Click this Whatsapp chat to talk:
Amongst the three options trimming, shaving and waxing, experts say trimming is the least riskier and waxing is the riskiest.
- You can use scissors (preferably those with blunt ends), bikini trimmers and cut your pubic hair to the desired length.
- Always keep the trimming tools exclusively for trimming pubic hair and not for any other purpose
- Disinfect and clean the tools before the trim
- Make sure you trim in the direction of your hair growth
Check with us if you want to know more about the best bikini trimmers. Click this Whatsapp button to talk now:
Good Old Trusty Razor:
To shave or not to shave , that’s the real question!
Razors are the most easily available and cheapest hair removal method out there.
When it comes to shaving your pubes,
- Know your skin type (E.g.: If you have rough skin, shaving is not the best method.)
- Make sure you use a disinfected razor. It is always preferred to use a new razor blade
- Wash the pubic area with soap and water, to reduce the chances of bacterial infection in case you make a small nick while shaving
- Use a good shaving cream or gel to ensure a more smooth shave
- Shave in the direction of hair growth
- Do not use this razor blade for any other body part (as there could be a risk of infection)
- Choose a non-alcoholic, unscented moisturizer to hydrate the shaved area (over-dryness can lead to irritation)
Tell us your skin type, and we will help you to find out the highly recommended razors, shaving creams, gels and moisturisers for your skin type. Click this Whatsapp chat to tell us:
Waxing ( Be your own parlour-aunty )
Waxing removes the hair from the root and thus hair re-growth takes longer.
Before waxing ensure that,
- You know your skin type (E.g. Hot wax is not recommended for sensitive skin)
- You know which wax strips are the best (ideal to use over the counter wax strips available in pharmacies, general stores and online)
- You have cleaned the area you are going to wax
Tell us your skin type and we’ll tell you which waxing strips are the best for you. You can also check with us the price and availability of these strips in your city. Click this Whatsapp chat to talk now:
Hair removal creams
A wide variety of hair removal creams are available. These are easier and offer a less messy method of hair removal.
However, before using the product:
- Conduct a patch-test by taking a little bit of it and applying it to a less sensitive region such as your hand or feet to see how the skin reacts. You need to check if there is any redness or irritation after the patch test.
- Carefully follow the instructions given behind the product box, as methods of use vary from manufacturer to manufacturer
Check with us if you want to know more about the best hair removal creams available in your city, and how to test it. Click this Whatsapp button to ask now:
The first thought that comes when thinking of tweezing is – “ OUCH!”. This process is very time -consuming and could be painful. However, this is ideal to remove a stray strand on the bikini line, after a shave or trim.
- To prevent rusting ensure that you use stainless steel tweezer
- Disinfect the tweezers before plucking the hair out
The internet is flooded with pubic hair removal methods. They make use of some basic and easily available ingredients at home. Please be cautious while resorting to such home-made solutions. Even though the products are the most basic ingredients like honey, sugar or cornstarch, they are not in their purest form and they have gone through a manufacturing and preservation process. A patch -test will be a safer precaution before using home -made solutions.
A combination one could try at home is called “sugaring”. A paste which is made up of lemon, sugar, and water is safe, natural, and uses no chemical additives.
Have you tried any home-made solutions? Tell us what you tried and we’ll tell you if it’s safe. Click this Whatsapp us button:
Choosing to not remove pubic hair
Choosing to keep pubic hair intact is not considered unhygienic. However, poor hygiene practices can end up causing sweat to be trapped in the area and that can result in odour. Thus it is always recommended to keep the area dry if you choose to keep your pubic hair. Also, do clean the area well with soap and water when in the shower.
You can use any of the above mentioned methods and see which one works for you. It all comes down to our personal preference. But just remember that the pubic area is a highly sensitive region and use only those methods that suit your skin sensitivity.
If you have any doubt on which method is best suited for you, you can talk to a good dermatologist or health professional for guidance.
Or you can check with us for guidance on our Whatsapp chat. Click this button to check:
About the Author: Tanvi Uday Shetty
She is a second year law student, at the O.P.Jindal Global University, Sonipat,Haryana. Her passions are rooted in environmental law, cyber-security law and human rights advocacy. A biryani enthusiast, you could find her curled up in bed, binging movies or reading Khaled Hosseini’s books
Connect with us on our social media pages to get updated about Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.
0 comments Add a comment