By Aisha Lovely George (Hidden Pockets Collective) & Nafisa Ferdous (CREA)
This piece was first published on CREA on 22nd May,2017.
Abortion stigma can often lead to negative consequences for young, single women in need of accessing safe abortion services. There are several challenges that women face starting with lack of information on abortion itself, not knowing where to access services, encountering judgmental provider attitudes and bias, prohibitive cost, and fear due to social norms. These and other factors can push women into vulnerable situations where they opt for unsafe services that put their lives and health at risk.
Often, the first major difficulty that women face is locating facilities for obtaining safe service. This was the origin for Hidden Pockets and CREA’s mapping exercise. Hidden Pockets with support from CREA conducted a mapping exercise in Delhi and Chandigarh to locate approved Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) centres and then geolocate them on digital maps. We believe in making data publicly available to so that people can conveniently locate public health service centres that are both affordable and offer quality MTP services. These maps give out details of approved health facilities and can easily be accessed through any of your digital devices.
Legal things to remember while visiting clinics in Chandigarh:
If you want an abortion, you are not doing anything illegal. It is totally legal under the MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act of 1971.
Under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act 1971, any woman can get an abortion within 20 weeks of her pregnancy under the following circumstances:
- If the continuation of the pregnancy would be a risk to the physical or mental health and well being of a woman
- If the foetus shows an abnormality in the scan and tests, and thus confirms that if it is born it would be severely handicapped.
[Often, many women are not sure about the time duration of the pregnancy, as in they cannot say for sure, in which week of pregnancy they are in. Thus they are not able to make the right decision about which method of abortion is suited for them. There are different abortions for different weeks of pregnancy. You can chat with us on our Whatsapp Careline and we can help you assess in which week of pregnancy you are in and what are the options you have for abortion: ]
For abortion in clinics in Chandigarh, these are some of the basic things you need to keep in mind:
For the first 8 weeks a woman can have a medical abortion
- In a medical abortion, you will be given certain medications to terminate the pregnancy.
- The pill is extremely effective in 95% of cases. Taking the pill after 8 weeks of pregnancy can lead to an incomplete abortion.
- It is always important to follow up with your doctor when you develop complications following an abortion using medical abortion pills
After 8 weeks the safest method to get an abortion is by having a surgical abortion
- Up to 12 weeks, the preferred method is Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA). This is a minor surgical procedure and does not require any overnight hospitalization. You can return home the same day after the procedure.
- Beyond 12 weeks, the surgical procedure might require you to be hospitalized overnight.
The cost factor
Not all doctors are allowed to do an abortion. Under the MTP Act, only a Registered Medical Practioner is allowed to give an abortion. These are doctors who have undergone training to give an abortion. Also, not all hospitals and clinics are permitted to give abortions. Only those hospitals and clinics (government or private) which are registered as Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) centres can give an abortion. The cost for abortion varies from doctor to doctor in various private hospitals and clinics.
Getting psychological support while seeking an abortion
Getting an abortion can be an extremely challenging time for any woman, hence it is important for women to not only seek safe, legal abortion from a qualified doctor but also seek support for emotional health and well-being.
What does Hidden Pockets offer to young clients?
- We will connect you with a good doctor who will not judge you for wanting an abortion or that you are unmarried.
- We will ensure that you have all your documents ready before you go to a doctor.
- We will help you assess your health conditions.
- We will provide constant guidance with regard to the needed tests, medicines.
- Our team of counsellors will provide you real-time support for pre abortion as well as post abortion.
- We will help you make the best decisions that take into consideration your circumstances.
[You would like to connect now? Click on this Whatsapp chat button now to talk to our Careline counsellor: ]
Post-abortion care is important
Once the abortion is done, many women think the ordeal is over and thus there is no necessity to go back to the doctor. Even if the doctor has recommended coming back after a few days, many women opt out of going back to the doctor, thinking there is nothing more to abortion, now that it is all done. However, this is not a healthy choice. There are reasons why your doctor has asked you to come back after a few days. Post-abortion care can avoid a lot of complications for you.
To know more read: Post Abortion Care: 5 Things You should Know
[Hidden Pockets ensures that you are taken care of and supported after your abortion. We take post-abortion very seriously and we want you to have a speedy recovery. We are just one click away: ]
If you want to know more about our work from the people who have received our services, you can read the testimonials.
1 comment Add a comment
Paras Bliss Hospital i is approved Government centre for Abortion (MTP). Dr Shilva is senior consultant working at the hospital and is expert in safe abortion services.