If you want to chat with our counsellor, you can use our paid carechat service. WhatsApp us!
Indore is the largest city in Madhya Pradesh. A quick search in the net for abortion in Indore will give you a list after list of hospitals and clinics. But does this list match with the developments which the largest city claims to have?
Is abortion accessible for women, irrespective of their marital status? Does culture play a huge role in shaming women who want to get an abortion in any state-of-the-art hospitals in Indore?
Many youths are scared to approach these top hospitals for abortion, especially if they are unmarried. The “shame & blame” culture is very strong even among the professionals in the healthcare industry.
Often the youth are left with no choice but to have the back alley abortions from quacks which are extremely unsafe and illegal. And on top of that, they end up paying a huge amount to have the abortions done.
If you are from Indore, and you recently discovered that you are pregnant and you are sure that you do not want to proceed with your pregnancy, we want you to know that you can get a safe and legal abortion from trusted doctors who will safeguard your privacy and treat you with dignity.
This article is a great starting point for you to know about abortion in Indore.
Before you delve into this article further, let us first and foremost reassure you that abortion in Indore is completely legal.
Legal things to remember while visiting clinics in Indore:
If you want an abortion, you are not doing anything illegal. It is totally legal under the MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act of 1971.
Under the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act 1971, any woman can get an abortion within 20 weeks of her pregnancy under the following circumstances:
- If continuation of the pregnancy would be a risk to the physical or mental health and well being of a woman
- If the foetus shows abnormality in the scan and tests, and thus confirms that if it is born it would be severely handicapped.
[Often, many women are not sure about the time duration of the pregnancy, as in they cannot say for sure, in which week of pregnancy they are in. Thus they are not able to make the right decision about which method of abortion is suited for them. There are different abortions for different weeks of pregnancy. You can chat with us on our Whatsapp Careline and we can help you assess in which week of pregnancy you are in and what are the options you have for abortion:
For abortion in clinics in Indore, these are some of the basic things you need to keep in mind:
For the first 8 weeks a woman can have a medical abortion
- In a medical abortion, you will be given certain medications to terminate the pregnancy.
- The pill is extremely effective in 95% of cases. Taking the pill after a 8 weeks of pregnancy can lead to an incomplete abortion.
- It is always important to follow up with your doctor when you develop complications following an abortion using medical abortion pills
After 8 weeks the safest method to get an abortions is by having a surgical abortion
- Up to 12 weeks, the preferred method is Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA). This is a minor surgical procedure and does not require any overnight hospitalization. You can return home the same day after the procedure.
- Beyond 12 weeks, the surgical procedure might require you to be hospitalized overnight.
The cost factor
Not all doctors are allowed to do abortion. Under the MTP Act, only a Registered Medical Practitioner is allowed to give an abortion. These are doctors who have underwent training to give an abortion. Also, not all hospitals and clinics are permitted to give abortions. Only those hospitals and clinics (government or private) which are registered as Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) centres can give an abortion. The cost for abortion varies from doctor to doctor in various private hospitals and clinics.
Getting psychological support while seeking an abortion
Getting an abortion can be an extremely challenging time for any woman, hence it is important for women to not only seek safe, legal abortion from a qualified doctor but also seek support for emotional health and well being.
What does Hidden Pockets offer to young clients?
- We will connect you with a good doctor who will not judge you for wanting an abortion or that you are unmarried.
- We will ensure that you have all your documents ready before you go to a doctor.
- We will help you assess your health conditions.
- We will provide constant guidance with regard to the needed tests, medicines.
- Our team of counsellors will provide you real time support for pre abortion as well as post abortion.
- We will help you make the best decisions that take into consideration your circumstances.
Post-abortion care is important
Once the abortion is done, many women think the ordeal is over and thus there is no necessity to go back to the doctor. Even if the doctor has recommended coming back after a few days, many women opt out of going back to the doctor, thinking there is nothing more to abortion, now that it is all done. However, this is not a healthy choice. There are reasons why your doctor has asked you to come back after a few days. Post-abortion care can avoid a lot of complications for you.
To know more read: Post Abortion Care: 5 Things You should Know
If you want to know more about our work from the people who have received our services, you can read the testimonials.
Connect with us on our social media pages to get updated about Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights.